Canon announces Canon EF 100-400 f3.5-5.6 L IS II USM lens
Canon has finally announced a version II of the highly popular EF 100-400 mm lens. The following are the salient features of this lens:
· One fluorite and one super UD lens element provides excellent correction of chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range, helping to deliver high-quality images with high resolution and contrast.
· Rotation-type zoom ring allows for more precise composition and excellent balance when handholding. The previous version had a push-pull mechanism which when hanged down can have a focus creep if
· Inner focusing, ring USM, a high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms for fast and accurate autofocusing.
· Optical Image Stabilizer provides up to four shutter speed steps of correction*.
· Three image stabilization modes (standard, panning, and during exposure only) provide outstanding results for a wide range of shooting situations.
· Improved zoom torque adjustment ring allows easy setting of zoom tension.
· New Air Sphere Coating (ASC) helps to significantly reduce backlit flaring and ghosting.
· Highly resistant to dust and water, and amazing durability enabling shooting even in harsh conditions.
· Circular aperture (9 blades) helps deliver beautiful, soft backgrounds. The previous version had 8 blades. So the bokeh is expected to be more circular and beautiful.
· Fluorine coating on front and rear lens surfaces helps reduce smears and fingerprints.
· Lens hood with side window permits specialty filters to be adjusted with hood in place. Canon has introduced this for the first time in its lens line up to help in adjusting filters.
· Newly designed tripod mount can be attached or detached without removing the lens from the camera.
· Minimum focusing distance of 3.2 ft. / 0.98 m with 0.31x maximum magnification. The previous version can focus to 5.9 feet/ 1.8 m. So during Safari if the tiger comes close still you can focus and it will also help in macro situations.
· Size: The version II is slightly bulkier ie. it is 3.7x7.6 inch instead of 3.6x7.4 inch
· Weight: The weight has increased by 200 g to 1.6kg.
Price: $2199 USD