PDA

View Full Version : Crocodile

Gajanan Bapat
24-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Dear Murugan / Saktipada

Thanks for comments

Corcodile from Sunderban on 18/02/2012 ...

canon 550d; 100-400 mm

Saktipada Panigrahi
24-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Thank you Gajanan Bhai.For this I was waiting.I was worried because you went at the fag end of the winter.
Nice image.Nice eye contact.Yes,this is the the estuarine crocodile of the Sundarbans.Massive built,enormously powerful with whom the tiger fears to tread even when it is basking.I think it is about 10-12 ft.long.When it stretches its body and jumps into water, it looks quite slim.This year for the first time crocodile counting in the Sundarbans was held f for 4 days based on actual sighting method. Other methods could not be applied because of the presence of tigers (roughly 25 p.c of them may be dreaded maneaters) .My two friends participated in the counting.Visual records and photographs are being analysed by WII and forest department.I am expecting a fairly good result.
Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

P.S:It reminds me Roopak Bhai's painstaking effort to present us an image of a Barn Owl, considered auspicious, on the Laxmi Puja evening when I made a request to our members only a few days earlier.

Murugan Anantharaman
24-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Lovely image Gajanan. Thanks for sharing. Huge one basking in the sun. Might have been top notch had it been basking with its mouth wide open. The light seems to be a bit harsh though, nevertheless lovely image. Again thanks for sharing.

Saktipadaji, looking forward to the results of the census, as you said lets hope the numbers look good.

Mrudul Godbole
24-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Lovely sighting. Giving a slight -ve EC would have been good as the light looks a bit harsh. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Saktiji for sharing the information.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Nice to see a top predator. Thanks for sharing an image from Sundarbans.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi