ISO 200
Focal Length 250mm
Cropped by 31%
Handheld

Regards,
Atul

Abhishek Jamalabad
05-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Nice shot, Atul. I like the composition. Beautiful BG. The all green colour scheme looks interesting. Nice details in the wings. The shallow DoF here looks okay to me, but you could have also tried a narrower aperture, since you had some shutter speed (and ISO if necessary) to spare.
This image clearly shows the spines and barbs on the legs. The dragonfly holds its legs together to form a spiny "basket", and catches prey in this.
This is a Green Marsh Hawk (Orthetrum sabina).

Atul Sinai
05-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks Abhishek. Agree with you about going for narrow aperture to get more details. Unfortunately missed out on that one.

Regards,
Atul

Sabyasachi Patra
05-08-2011, 01:39 PM
A narrow aperture is important from this angle. There is a dark patch on the left top corner. A uniform green background would have been great.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
05-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Agree with the above comments. Since it is 31% crop, maybe next time you can try to go a little closer, after you get some images. Thanks for sharing.

Atul Sinai
05-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys. The background was not the best as it was covered by leaves and open spaces filled with shadows. The dark patch is the open space with shadows.

Mrudul, I had tried to move in closer, but had focusing issues with my lens.

Will do better next time.

Regards,
Atul

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
05-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I can see the eyes.Nicely done.You could have gone for a narrower aperture after increasing the ISO to about 400.When you are very close to the subject, DOF becomes less,so it is always better to have a narrower aperture (at least 9 or 10).While doing so,you need to have a some kind of support,as hand-holding becomes difficult due to slower shutter speed. Thanks for sharing.