PDA

View Full Version : Hetrometrus scorpion

Joshi Bhavya
20-07-2011, 12:03 PM
These scorpions are dark brown to black, with most species sporting a green or blue tint in certain lighting. They are hardy scorpions, in that way they are similar to Emperor Scorpions.

This scorpion found at night in bandiyabeli forest... this scorpion glows due to A thin, transparent film (hyaline) in the outermost layer (cuticle) of their exoskeleton contains a protein that fluoresces.you can see scorpions within a 20-foot radius by shining a black (ultraviolet) light around. They glow bright green-blue or green-yellow like scorpion jewels.
With Canon 550D, 18-55mm
flash: No
F: 5.6
ISO:200
Shutter Speed 1/5( Stable on ground)
AV-Mode
UV Light On Scorpion To Glow.

Mrudul Godbole
20-07-2011, 01:05 PM
The colour looks nice. You could have increased the ISO to 400 to get a higher shutter speed. Thanks for sharing the detailed information. Where is this bandiyabeli forest? Look forward to more.

Atul Sinai
20-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Nice to see a glowing scorpion. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Atul

Abhishek Jamalabad
20-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Very nice perspective and composition. Wish there was more DoF. I have never used the UV light technique before, but I suppose you have to take proper safety measures since UV light can damage the eyes.
TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
20-07-2011, 06:58 PM
I am not too keen on using UV light. Do we know what is the impact of UV light on these fellows?

Joshi Bhavya
20-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks Mrudual for comment,
Bandiyabeli located Near Chotila (Gujarat) There is an village called Thangadh. It a Reserve and Research forest so it's a Non-Famous, wooded area in an arid zone otherwise devoid of any noteworthy tree growth. The shrubby land interspersed with patches of grasses, harbours large number of species of plants, birds and Reptiles.

Sabyasachi, We are Using UV LED Torch light for searching the scorpion at night. I never used the These light on human.
And It take hardly 1 or 2 min to photographs this scorpion with UV LED..
You can share the impact measure on and Insects.