PDA

View Full Version : Glassy Tiger Pre-Imago

Bibhav Behera
11-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Shot at Mhadei Sanctuary.
This is the image of the caterpillar of a Glassy Tiger Butterfly.

Canon 1000D, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
SS 1/60
f/5.6
ISO 800

Full frame Image. I should have cropped off a sliver off the left frame edge.

Bibhav Behera
11-06-2011, 12:50 PM
The glassy Tiger, Blue Tiger and the plain Tiger caterpillars usually live in the Greater Rattle pod tree. The reason being that cattle dont eat the leaves of it and the caterpillars stay relatively safe in the sanctuary of the shrub. Attaching herewith an image of the shrub as well for ID purposes.

PS: Missed mentioning it in the previous post. Flash Fired @ (-2/3EC)

Mrudul Godbole
11-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Nice to see this caterpillar. The rain drops (?) look good and add to the composition. Wish the light was better for you to use a narrower aperture. Agree about cropping from the left to remove the hint of the leaf. Maybe moving a bit more to the right (if possible) would have been good. Thanks for sharing the information. Look forward to more.

Abhishek Jamalabad
11-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Nice shot Bibhav. The droplets look lovely. Wish the BG elements weren't that bright. Agree about the crop. It's great that you photographed the habitat separately as well (something I unfortunately keep forgetting) :(.
PS: Not sure about the use of the term "pre-imago" here, as that is used for insects which have several adult-resembling nymph stages in their life cycle. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Bibhav Behera
11-06-2011, 05:59 PM
You are right Abhishek. It would be right to just call this a Larva Stage. As post this would be the Pupa Stage and then the Imago.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-06-2011, 06:21 PM
I agree with the crop suggestion. Light seems to be really low. I would have preferred a narrow aperture (if you had a tripod with you at that time). Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi