PDA

View Full Version : Close of the thorny predator

Prajwal J Ullal
02-05-2011, 10:21 AM
An aggressive spider I came across while clicking some flowers.
Taken from my Canon S5IS in SuperMacro mode with Aperture priority mode...DOF i suppose was between 3.5-5

Abhishek Jamalabad
02-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Nice. It's a lynx spider (family Oxyopidae). I love that threat posture :).
Not sure about the focus point. Sharp focus on the head would have looked better. Wish you had got it on something more natural.
TFS.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I agree with Abhishek. Better focus and in natural surroundings would have made for an excellent image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Prajwal J Ullal
02-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Yeah I should have tried it, but it was already afternoon and the spider was probably at the peak of its agility...since it was spotted near my apartment, shall try getting the snaps from a natural surrounding, focusing is an issue with my canon as even I am not able to get the proper judgment. Probably I should upgrade myself to a Dslr to get such precision.

Mrudul Godbole
02-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Nice closeup. The low angle enhances the composition. Agree with the above comments. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more from macros.

Abhishek Jamalabad
02-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Prajwal,
I think your camera has a ring on the barrel which can be assigned the manual focus function. This will help you get better manually focused shots. Manual focusing is usually the best way to shoot macro subjects where one needs precise focus with a shallow DoF. Otherwise, try the AI Servo AF to lock focus on the head (in this case) and track the focused point continuously.
Instead of the supermacro mode, you could try the normal macro mode at its higher available focal lengths. That will allow you to zoom in give you a better diffused background.