PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly - A Different Perspective!

Tushar Dixit
16-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Clicked during my recent trip to Amboli, which I had planned exclusively for learning the Macro photography. Sharing this image of dragonfly. Hope you'll like it. C&C most welcome!

EOS 7D, 100mm f/2.8L IS Lens, 1/125, ISO 200 @ f/20. Manual exposure with external flash. 11:15 am.

Basic PP with few bright spots burnt or cloned out.

Mrudul Godbole
16-11-2010, 10:48 PM
The head on composition looks nice, gives a different look. The black background has helped to enhance the dragon fly further. The details are nice. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Hi Tushar,
Nice perspective. The wings have come out well. It would have been great if you could have used a reflector at the bottom. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Tushar Dixit
16-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Hi Sabyasachi:

It would have been great if you could have used a reflector at the bottom.

Do you mean using flash reflector? Didn't quite understand the point :huh: I have used bounce flash to isolate the subject.

Regards,
Tushar

Sabyasachi Patra
17-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi Tushar,
I was talking about reducing the shadows on the wings by reflecting/bouncing light onto it. A simple solution is to hold or place a reflecting surface (can be cardboard or commercially available reflectors) to reflect some light onto the underparts. That may not be possible when one is clicking alone and the dragonfly will not always oblige.

Which flash did you use?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Tushar Dixit
17-11-2010, 10:40 PM
@Sabyasachi: I use Canon Speedlite 580EX external flash.

Sabyasachi Patra
18-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Tushar,
Though the @ sign is often used by people during chatting etc, the @ sign makes it appear impersonal. It is also frowned upon in serious discussions, especially in Govt. circles (though one of our former minister used the @ sign in Twitter). So better to avoid using it.

The EX 580 directly mounted on camera?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Tushar Dixit
18-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi! I will keep this in mind. Yes, EX 580 was directly mounted on the camera.