PDA

View Full Version : Greater Coucal

Murugan Anantharaman
07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Saw a pair of Coucals roaming around the MTDC campus in Ganpatipule. It seemed they have settled close to the area. I didnt expect many birds around the place but was pleasantly surprised. This is one of the images I made of the coucals.

Nikon D7000,f/6.3,SS 1/200,ISO 250,ec +.3,fl 300mm.Cropped a bit.

Prasad Dingankar
07-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Nice Image, Murugan. I have observed one thing about this bird in Gujarat & Maharashtra, particularly in Konkan, they are very bold in konkan compaired to their counterpart in Gujarat. I found these birds very-very shy in Gujarat.
Please correct me, If my observation is wrong about Gujarat coucals.

Saktipada Panigrahi
07-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Text book image.Fine details. Good that you got it in the open. Here also it prefers to remain inside shrubs because it does not fly much and walks on the ground. Ratnagiri is also known for its saw-scaled vipers. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Roopak Gangadharan
08-02-2013, 10:44 AM
the red eye looks nice. wish you had got it on a natural perch.

TFS
Roopak

Mrudul Godbole
08-02-2013, 01:30 PM
The red eye is striking. Nice to see it in the open. Good details. Maybe at Ganpatipule, they have got used to the humans and have no harm, so they freely come close. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
09-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Nice eye contact. It is also in focus and the full body is covered in depth of field. I agree with Roopak, that natural perch would have beeng great. Do tourists feed them?

Murugan Anantharaman
09-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks all for your comments.

Sabyasachi: No, tourists dont feed them. Infact the coucals are towards the boundary between the hotel and the beach. I think most people dont even know they are around. Unfortunately, not many notice :(.