PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Sand Plover

Prajwal J Ullal
04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Another beauty captured at the Sewri Mudflats. Had encountered them several times but could never get a clear shot of it, this time could manage few better snaps of this small beauty. Not sure which Plover is it? Id help will be very much Appreciated.

Had to go through a lot of patience for getting a good lighting and eye contact

EXIF:
Canon EOS 500D
Canon 55-250
F/8
Shutterspeed:1/500
ISO 200
-0.7step

Saktipada Panigrahi
04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
It appears to me as Lesser Sand Plover(Charadrius monolus) in winter plumage. Winter visitor to sea shore and mudflats.
Nice image. Well composed with habitat. Thanks for sharing.SaktiWild

Mrudul Godbole
04-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Nice catch light on the eye, your patience to get it in good light paid off :). Good sighting. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Cute bird. I find waiting at one spot for 4-5 hours without movement helps a lot.

Roopak Gangadharan
06-02-2013, 10:38 PM
certainly looks lesser sand plover.Agree with patras sab, wait at a decent distance and they will eventually come close. its not a particularly shy bird. im sure you will get much closer shots.

TFS
Roopak

Murugan Anantharaman
08-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Nice image Prajwal. I agree with Sabysachi and Roopak. Last week when in Ganpatipule, I saw a lot of these plovers by the beach. I tried to slowly approach them but they would run away. So I overtook them by walking away from them closer to the where the beach closed in and quitely came close to the waters and sat down with minimal movement. Eventually they came 10-12 feet close to me. Light was harsh hence my images didnt come out that great, but will post some acceptable ones from the lot.

Thanks for sharing.