contact IndiaWilds
Home
About
Diary
Forums
Gallery
ContactUs

User Tag List

Thread: Wild Life Photographers : Positive Intrusion & where to draw a line?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ranbir,
    The numbers presented in the tiger census makes me uncomfortable. For e.g., the number of tigers operating in stipulated study areas don't seem to be sustainable. However, evolution might have stepped in and increased the adapatability of tigers to their smaller environs.
    The gene pool should be allowed to combine with natural selection. But this is a view that some conservationists disagree with, e.g., the rehabilitation of tigers into Sariska - this now potentially creates a new gene pool.
    If we are to save our tigers, we must eradicate the threats that face them - i.e. prey loss due to habitat destruction, disease ridden prey (in cases where cattle are lifted by tigers in areas close to human habitation), human encroachment, etc. The tiger is staunch and he will survive, but we need to work from the bottom rung of the apex to ensure he survives.
    Even 1165 tigers to me seems a little too high, of course, we all know the Govt. had been hoodwinking all of us with inflated tiger numbers over the years, and at least now we're coming to terms with this fact.
    What we can do is champion their cause in population circles, the more people that join the fight for the tiger's survival, the better. It calls for sustained effort from India's youth and educated mass to do something for their wildlife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree Naren.
    Here I would invite fellow conservationists to pitch in with the concrete ways to take it forward.

Naren mentioned about working from "the bottom rung to the apex" methodology. Okay, being part of the IT bandwagon , I was wondering if we can do the following (based on pmbok guidelines):

• Create a Project Tiger (with realistic scope and objective)
    • Define constraints (time, cost, resources, etc)
    • Define proper risk assessment (create strong risk mitigation & contingency plans)
    • Provide strong estimation (work breakdown structure or other technique)
    • Define quality benchmarks.
    • Complete & sustain the project.

We have to brainstorm and collaborate with different cross-section to get the right "inputs" and look to implement it.

Purpose is to document and implement intelligent (not whimsical, utopian ideas) about conservation.

Narens' comment on Govt hoodwinking about numbers is troubling me greatly.
    I would also like to caution Naren that though the tiger is a survivor, evolution has a long time-foot print. It might be too late.

We need to act.

Can somebody moderate / lead this pls?
    Sabyasachi: would you suggest we create a new thread on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ranbir,
    It's not too late to save the Tiger. We still have hope and as long as there's hope, there's possibility, probability and survival.
    It becomes too late when all efforts to save the tiger are negated or wind down. We are seeing an increase in tiger saving programmes only because people are now sitting up and taking notice.
    Rgds, Naren

Thread Information