Thread: The Courtship feeding of Orange-headed Thrush

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Conclusions Part - II

Lastly, I should admit that I have not seen them mating during my observation. They did not build their nest either in the place where I witnessed their sweet conjugal activities. But I saw the male bird to collect and carry dry blades of grasses to some other place a number of times. Afterwards I came to know from the local people that their conjugal life turned out to be successful. In that very mango orchard that pair of the OHT used to come with their siblings to feed them. Still now, when I visit that place I look for that pair of King and the Queen along with the princes and princesses in the bed of the dry leaves smeared with mellow sun-rays.

Written & Photographed by Samrat Sarkar

Note - This article has already been published in a renowned national Magazine as printed version. Although I am uploading this article in this popular forum of IndiaWilds to reach a wider range of readers and wildlife enthusiasts and also for researchers.

Papers or books cited –
    1. A re-interpretation of courtship feeding by T. Royama, Institute of Forest-zoology, Department of Forestry, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
    2. Orange-headed Thrush Zoothera citrina and the avian X-factor, BirdingASIA 9 (2008): 58–60. By Paul Jepson.
    3. ASSESSING THE SUSTAINABILITY OF THE HARVESTING OF ORANGE-HEADED THRUST CHICKS ON BALI, INDONESIA FINAL REPORT AUGUST 2009 BY: IGN.KRISTIANTO SUPPORTED BY: THE RUFFORD SMALL GRANT.
    4. The Handbook of Bird Biology, Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
    5. Courtship Feeding in Birds Author(s): David Lack, Margaret M. Nice, Amelia R. Laskey, Hervey Brackbill, A. L. Rand and Clarence Cottam Source: The Auk, Vol. 58, No. 1 (Jan., 1941), pp. 56-60.
    6. A PRINCIPAL-AGENT THEORY OF COURTSHIP FEEDING, NUPTIAL GIFTS AND DIVORCE BY JOAN ROUGHGARDEN, HAWAI`I INSTUTUTE OF MARINE BIOLOGY.
    7. COURTSHIP FEEDING IN BIRDS BY DAVID LACK, The Auk, Vol-57, 1940.
    8. OBSERVATIONS ON COURTSHIP-FEEDING AND COITION OF THE MARSH-TIT BY AVERIL MORLEY.
    9. COURTSHIP FEEDING AND OSPREY REPRODUCTION BY ALAN POOLE, Boston University Marine Program, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, Massachusetts, 2543 USA.

Equipment used: - Canon EOS 7D + Canon 500mm f4 + Monopod
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Nice Study Report on a mating pair of Orange-headed Thrush painstakingly complied with. Wish to see more such in-depth study and research on mammals, birds, reptiles etc. from you in future.
    Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Thread Information